Monday, March 17, 2008

from NorCal to Norman

My spring break visitor hails from Kazakhstan, via Northern California. That is to say, my friend Rachel who went to high school with me is here for a visit. She has never been to Oklahoma before, but she says she likes it. "It's not pretentious," were her words, I believe.

I got her the shirt to help her fit in. Then I patiently went over what a Sooner is, why we would want to be called Sooners, what the Sooner Schooner is, and how you can say "Go Sooners" or "Boomer Sooner" but you can't say "Go Boomer Sooner." We also wondered together what exactly a Boomer is and why we aren't Boomers.

She learns pretty quickly, I'd say, for a Californian:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........


U!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww....

Anonymous said...

I think perhaps she learned a bit faster than another rachel and I did...

Becky Myers said...

Sooners were the ones who cheated and claimed land before the gun was fired (during the land rush, you were supposed to wait to claim land until the gun was fired...)

Boomers waited for the boom of the gun and therefore got screwed.

Would you rather be the jerk who messed the system up or the idiot who was screwed by the system??

Now you know why you are a sooner.