Friday, September 14, 2007

the sound of silence

"Silence is speech...from the word you build the village, but from silence you construct the world. What's more, there's as much silence in speech as there is speech in silence. Who fears silence around here? Silence rings and resounds and means as much as a voice. It's a question of ear..."

-- from Patrick Chamoiseau's Solibo Magnificent

The culture I am living in now is deathly afraid of silence. Somehow silence has gone from being "golden" to being "awkward." Why?

at least the (background) music industry has profited from it.

I should have added awkward to my earlier list of overused words.

I guess it really is "a question of ear." I enjoy a good silence. Other people so badly need to fill it that they end up cramming in inanities and useless words and conversation. To me, that's more awkward than silence would have been.

Silence can be powerful. Or useful. Or comforting. Or comfortable. It's easy. Why is that such a big deal?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who could comment after all the talk of silence?

Anonymous said...

Winston would be proud.